Saturday, May 17, 2014

A Galleon sets sail ^_^

Its been quite a while since I posted >.<  Between moving from Arizona to Tennessee, and all the packing, move hassles, my health issues, and then Papa passing away shortly after we got here, it's been difficult getting back into the hobby side of things.   Making it more difficult was not having any space to work, the garage I had been promised as a work area, was(still is) packed to the gills with stuff thats not mine and will take alot of time to work through.

So, I had to replan and turn my bedroom into a mini studio.  Which is annoying since it meant giving up closet space for clothes, but I can keep those in another room.

So, with the tools I was able to bring with, and what I've scraped up on bargain shopping on Amazon( a Makita drill and impact driver set for 100$- worth thier weight in gold)  and a table saw off Craigslist for 50$  I'm slowly getting some tables and shelves built.

But, I decided its been too long since I built something.  And sure I have several kits I could have built, 40k tanks and a couple Warmachine Jacks.  But those aren't exactly challenging.   So I splurged and bought a Colossal off ebay for 81$ with free shipping.  Bought it monday night, got it Thursday afternoon, and finished the assembly last night(Saturday).


Assembly would have taken about 4-6 hours if I had just removed the mold lines and glued/pinned it. But nooo, I had to core out the smoke stacks and throw magnets in it.   To be fair though, the coring bits I have are pretty awesome, they're actually for cutting holes in bottles, but they eat through resin and plastic too.

 Magnetizing the crane arm.  I knew this appendage would be a monster without buying the 50$ foam to transport it.  But, a few magnets, and the jumbo arm can be tucked away.  One pair wasn't sufficient to hold the arm, maybe if they had been rectangular bar shaped.  Two pair still had the leverage popping the arm off.  Three seems almost enough.  But I'll probly drop a 4th set on there, I dont want the arm falling off.


The harpoon is the same problem as the crane-its huge and presents transport issues.  So it got magnets rather than the entire arm.  The rather ugly metal chain from the winch to the harpoon will get replaced when I can find it(its in one of these boxes)  or when I got to Hobby Lobby and spend 2$ to buy some more, the aluminum kind takes paint well enough and wont weigh down the magnet(which actually can support the pewter piece, I jsut dont like how it looks).  Since I cut the ugly chain off I also opened up the achor rings on the metal posts on the harpoon, that will make attaching the jewlery chain easier when I ger to that step.

 The waist is socketed for now to facilitate painting, and I might leave it as its quite stable with an 8mm brass tube for a pin that I seem to have actually managed to hit dead center-not always the easiest task but oddly the soft plastic of the PP resin makes it easier since you can push the tip of a drill bit into the spot you mark and your drill wont wander.   And while not pictured(because you cant see it) the legs are attached to the hip piece, drilled straight though and pinned with a piece of braided wire.

Usually I use a dremel for work like this.  But its been replaced, this little 12v Makita is just awesome.  I got it for home improvement and shop work.  But when the dremel was smoking the resin with those coring bits, I tried the Makita and its lower speed and ergonomics gave me alot of control, as the three bored out smokestacks show(the cores are on the left by the yellow files!).  One was a bit off center, but thats mostly a learning process on my part.   The coring/hole cutter bits are awesome.  I got a set of them, and the variety of sizes had one that was always nearly the right size.  At first I was using them for the magnet sockets,  but getting the center piece out was tedious.  So I switched back to regular drill bits and then used my 5$ set of chinese diamond burrs to grind out the socket for the magnet to fit flush, it was easier.   

The other tool that was very handy were the diamond files, the two yellow handle ones are 180 grit and made short work of all the mold lines.  Even on the resin.  I was concerned after hearing all the bitching and moaning about the PP resin is would just shred and I'd end up needing to sand it with like 1000grit sandpaper to get it smooth.  But it seems most of those complaints are just from inept modelers.

Complaints I do have,  is there were ALOT of mold lines.  It took over 2 hours to get the mold vents and flashing off.  And during the assembly/pinning I was still finding new lines.  So probably three hours total.   There also were some bubble issues.  Not like 'OMG it has the finecaast plague!'  but the winch on the upper claw I had to rework a whole corner and it need a line of rivets now.   The smokestacks,  I just can't get this damn thing to fit flush, which means I'm going to have to spend like another hour or two on assembly essentially sculpting it on, then waiting for the putty to dry.  Which delays painting another day.  And the stupid smoke stack bit on top of the left arm.  That stupid thing doesnt stand a chance without getting pinned as well >.>  And since I drilled it out already Im sure as hell not leaving it off...

I know alot of gamers don't like the idea of spending money on tool before more toys.  But some hobbyists will go for tools before toys.  I'm glad I did, I've had to wait a while on my minis, but the Makita and the diamond bits made the process so much easier.   The diamond bits, the 30 piece set of burrs was 7$ total, works in my dremels and drill, I used 5 or 6 of them just on the Galleon.  The Hole cutter set was 12$ I think, for 10 bits, 1/8" to 1/2".  Worth every penny.   The Makita,  I got as a set with an impact driver for 120$  And its the new LiIon model thats really small.  It cost alot more than any dremel tool.    But I can't use a dremel tool to build a table or hang shelves.  The impact driver assembled my work table too.  So, they're high mileage tools if you can use them for more than one task.

37 comments:

  1. wow ! too much work for me !
    stunning !
    I wish that at the end you will be satisfied, happy etc.... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how this ended up!! .) Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing model have you had an time to put paint on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I hope you're still active, I've enjoyed your blog through 2014. Would enjoy your take on Space Marine chapter tactics in 7e, and your views on how the Grav Centurion has become a focal point of armies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals sent to your cell phone every day.

    Start following our trades right now and make up to 270% a day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another awesome article. Very detailed and informative. Thanks for sharing!
    https://fourjeventsclub.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this Very useful info You Have Provided us. I appreciate your blog, big thank you for your sharing
    Concrete Sealer
    Mold Killing Primer

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is really great and nice article and it is informative article. I read this and it is very helpful for me.


    Sage 50 Training

    Sage 200

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love so much your nice post. Thanks for the post. If anyone need web 2.0 blogs backlinks service then please contact me.

    ReplyDelete


  13. This Is Really Useful And Nice Information. แทงบอลออนไลน์Pantip
    This are such great articles. แทงบอลออนไลน์Pantip This articles can help you to make some new ideas.
    แทงบอลออนไลน์Pantip I appreciate for reading my blogs.


    ReplyDelete


  14. This are new articles style for you. แทงบอลออนไลน์Pantip You can find some new idea on this. แทงบอลออนไลน์Pantip It might help you to write or think some new idea.
    แทงบอลออนไลน์Pantip Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
    แทงบอลออนไลน์Pantip I am very glad for reading my articles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you interested to increase your online business on Google? If yes then you must choose an SEO Company in Delhi that can make the best strategy that will lead your business website towards traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. CSS Founder is known as the best website design company in hyderabad where you meet with the best website design & development service provider. You can connect with us and get your dream website at an affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you want to increase your online business? If yes then you must connect with SEO Company in Ghaziabad that can provide the best digital marketing services with guarantee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really very nice and interesting thing you shared in this post. Please keep posting like this. Upcoming residential projects in sector 79 Noida

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice! thank you so much! Thank you for sharing. Your blog posts are more interesting and informative.
    Web Design Company San Jose

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are the best website designing and development company, we strive to provide custom web design and development solutions that help you take your business to new heights. We design visually appealing websites that drive more conversions for your business. Contact us
    Web design company Mesa

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you are looking for an immigration service, you can go with steadfast, we are UAE based company and our service is the fast service in the world
    Immigration Services in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you are looking for a website design company that provides the best services, if you want to rank your business by a website, then CSS Founder ranks your business through a website, on the first page of Google. CSS Founder is a good option for you, Website design company in

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have shared really very nice information. Please keep posting like this so that we can get knowledge from your blog. I hope I will read your new blog soon. Luxury Resorts in Lansdowne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the informative and helpful post, obviously in your blog everything is good. Nursing Care at Home in Noida

    ReplyDelete
  25. Saudi Arabia Visa apply online has truly revolutionized the travel process. The convenience of submitting visa applications from our website is a remarkable step forward. This method not only saves time but also streamlines the entire application procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you want to apply for a tourist visa to business visa then you can connect with India Visa for getting quick visa application process. Our expertise has made the application process smoother for eligible applicants.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Visit Visa is a well-known and trusted India visa provider company that specializes in providing seamless and hassle-free visa services to individuals wishing to visit India. They understand the complexities and requirements of the visa application process and strive to provide efficient and prompt services to their clients. Be it for tourism, business, or medical purposes, Visit Visa ensures that all the necessary documentation and procedures are taken care of, making the visa application process simple and convenient for the applicants.

    ReplyDelete